Monday, September 17, 2018

Preliminaries

My first experience at Edgemont Elementary was before the semeter even started, when I went to introduce myself to the first graders of Mrs. Amesse's class. Here are a few of my observations.

Mrs. Amesse is a very experienced teacher! She has been working with this grade for some time and I am impressed with the capable and confident way she manages her class. She makes it look easy. Her students come from a variety of backgrounds and seem to be very bright, if distractible, children. It has been a long time since I have worked with children of that age, and I had forgotten how very young and small they are! Keeping their attention is going to have to be a major focus for me in my teaching, because they seem to have difficulty staying on task for any length of time unless their attention is completely absorbed.

After I gave my introduction to the children, I sat at the back of the room to observe the goings-on of the class and get a better feel for the classroom environment and culture. It wasn't long, however, before I was sucked into participating (quite willingly, of course) in a lesson. Mrs. Amesse was teaching math, explaining addition by combining short red and blue blocks to form a long row of blocks. My task was to assist a sweet boy with a faraway look in his eyes, who seemed to be having a hard time grasping the concept.

"Could you help walk him through this for a few minutes until he goes to the special education class?" Mrs. Amesse asked. "He's got a kind of Syndrome, it's sort of like Down's, but different..."

I have a strong background in Special Education, so I asked "What is the Syndrome called?" thinking there was perhaps some chance that I might recognize it.

"Prader-Willi Syndrome, you probably haven't heard of it..."

I gasped. "I know exactly what that is! I can definitely help!" Since April, I have been working at a group home that specializes in the care of adults with Prader-Willi individuals. This rare genetic disorder is one with which I have become intimately familiar. Prader-Willi occurs in only 1 of 15,000 people or fewer; the fact that I happen to work with other individuals who have this condition, and just happened to find myself in a classroom with another such individual, is absolutely amazing! I am certain it was meant to be. We spent a few minutes getting to know each other before it was time for my new friend to leave for his special education class and for me to head home.

I am excited to get to know these students more, and begin planning for how I can meet their needs as a class and as individuals as Mrs. Amesse and I work towards a goal of integrated education. This is going to be a great growth experience!

- Sarah Earl